Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks : 300
Candidates should attempt Questions 1 and 2 which are Compulsory , and any three of the remaining questions selecting at least one question from each section. All questions carry equal marks.
1. On the outline map of India provided, mark the following and write in not more than ten words in your answer book, what you consider to be the most significant aspect of each one of them :
(a) Mettur Dam (b) Kaziranga Park
(c) Loktak Lake (d) Puri
(e) Vindhyan Mountains (f) Mahanadi
(g) Itanagar (h) Haldia
(i) Sunderbans (j) Khetri copper mines
On the world map provided, mark to following and write in more than ten words in your answer book, what you consider to be the most significant aspect of each one of them :
(a) Lake Erie (b) Black Forest
(c) New York (d) Jamaica
(e) Falkland Island (f) Winnipeg
(g) Lake Mansarovar (h) Tigris River
(i) Sharjah (j) Areas of Mediterranean climate in Africa
2. Write short notes on any three of the following (each answer should be in about 200 words) :
(a) Buffer zone
(b) Marine resources, biotic, mineral and energy resources.
(c) Weathering and soil formation
(d) Rural-urban fringe
3. Discuss the concept of polycyclic landforms and present an analytical study of the polycyclic landforms of a selected region.
4. Define air masses. How do they originate ? Classify them and state the characteristics of anyone type.
5. Examine critically .the theories of the formation of coral reefs and atolls.
6. "Water is a scarce resource in plenty." Comment and discuss its importance in the balanced habitate development. Support your answer with examples from
7. Critically examine Alfred Weler's Theory of the Location of Industries.
8. Critically examine the concept of dualism with special reference to physical versus human geography.
Geography - 1997 (Main) (Paper - II)
Candidates should attempt Questions 1 and 5 which are compulsory, and any three of the remaining questions selecting at least one question from each section. All questions carry equal marks.
1. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each
(a) Discuss the origin and main geomorphic feature of Thar Desert of India
(b) Examine the significance of social forestry in the rural economy of
(c) Examine the genesis of racial diversity in
(d) Discuss the impact of green revolution on the agricultural production in
2. Critically examine the factors affecting the distributional pattern of population in
3. Evaluate the nature of ecological problem in
4. Divide Peninsular
5. Answer any three of the following in about 200 words each :
(a) Analyse the locational pattern of cement industry in
(b) Examine the census concept of urban areas in
(c) Discuss the nature of commodity flows in
(d) Evaluate the benefits of Block Level development planning in
6. Critically examine the locational pattern and trend of production of forest based industries in
7. Draw a sketch map of
8. Explain the basis and consequences of the establishment and implementation of recommendations of the State Re-organisation Commission in