Time Allowed : Three Hours Maximum Marks : 300
2. Answer any two of the following : 15 x 2 =30
(a) Why did the moderates lose appeal with the Indians and failed to elicit desired response from the British?
(b) How did the Policy of free trade hurt Indian textile industry and crafts in the latter half of the 19th century?
(c) Trace the origins of the R.N.I. Mutiny and evaluate its impact on the political situation in
3. Answer any three of the following : 10 x 3 =30
(a) Examine the ideas of Rabindranath Tagore on democracy.
(b) How did the Swadeshi Movement in
(c) What was the significance of the Prajamandal movements in the Indian States in the decade preceding
(d) Assess the role of C. Rajagopalachari during the pre-partition years of Indian public life.
4. (a) What do you know about the following : 2 x 15 =30
(b) Why have the following become famous?
(c) Write about the chief fatures of the following :
6. Attempt any three of the following : 10 x 3 =30
(a) Examine the fall out of population explosion in
(b) Discuss the justification for the creation of new states in U.P. and Bihir.
(c) What are the reasons for the slow progress of SAPTA?
(d) Describe the problem of KOSOVO.
(e) What is ASEAN PLUS? What is its nature and duty?
7. Attempt any five of following : 6 x 5 =30
(a) What were the circumstances leading to the promulgation of Prasar Bharati ordinance in August 1998?
(b) Who has claimed the responsibility for the recent bomb attacks on American embassies at
(c) What is the significance of Pope John Paul II's visit to
(d) What are the significant features of Lokpal Bill recently introduced in the Lok Sabha?
(e) Why was a variant of Basmati rice in news recently?
(f) What solution has been arrived at recently in the Cauvery water dispute?
(g) Bring out the issues involved in the appointments and transfer of judges of the Supreme Court and high Courts in
8. (a) Explain the following : 2 x 15 =30
(b) What do you know about the following?
10. (a) The following table shows annual profits (Rs. in crores) of two investment companies A and B during the given 5 years :
(b) An investor bought shares of a company at a premium of Rs. 20. If the par value of the share is Rs. 120 and the company declares 21% dividend in a given year, find the rate of interest received by the investor.
11. (a) Mention, in each of the following cases, the most appropriate diagram to represent the data : 5
(b) The following table shows the IQ scores of adolescents aged 15-17 years:
12. (a) State whether the following statements are true or false.
General Studies - 1998 (
Time Allowed : Three Hours Maximum Marks : 300
Candidates should attempt questions from all the Section I, II, and III. The number of marks carried by each question is indicated at the end of the question.
2. (a) "The past 50 years of development in India were characterised by planning but the next 50 years of development would be led by the market." Comment. (About 250 words) 40
3. (a) What is remote sensing? What are its uses especially in the Indian context? (About 250 words) 40
4. Answer any TWO of the following :-
(a) Highlight the significance of the Seventy-third Amendment to the Constitution of India.
(b) How are the States formed in
(c) On what grounds the Legislative Councils are justified? How is it created or abolished in a State?
(d) Differentiate and state the significance of general election, mid-term election and by-election.
5. Answer any TWO of the following :-
(a) What are the main reasons for industrial sickness in
(b) "Infrastructure bottlenecks continue to stifle the economic growth in
(c) Comment on the view that Monetary Policy in
(d) What has been the role of NRIs in the economic development of
6. Answer any TWO of the following :-
(a) What are the geo-economic causes of underdevelopment of various regions in
(b) Which parts of
(c) Describe the changes that have taken place in the direction of international trade of
(d) How do the Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the
7. Answer any TWO of the following :-
(a) Describe the development of Super-computers in
(b) How does the development of Pinaka benefit
(c) What are optical fibres? What are their advantages?
(d) What are enzymes? What is their importance?
8. Answer FOUR questions from Group A, THREE from Group B and THREE from Group C :-
(b) Explain per capita income as a measure of economic growth.
(c) What is meant by 'Quality of life'?
(d) What constitutes a Minor Irrigation Project?
(e) What is meant by Environmental Impact Assessment?
(f) What is the difference between Gross National Product and Net National Product?
(b) Point out the constitution and functions of the Central Vigilance Commission.
(c) State the amplitude of Art. 21 of the Constitution.
(d) Which of the cases regarding disqualifications for Membership of either House of Parliament are decided by the President?
(e) Differentiate between Parliamentary Secretary and Lok Sabha Secretary.
(f) What is a Privilege Motion?
(b) State the importance of Antrix Corporation.
(c) Why is Website getting popular?
(d) What do the following stand for?
(e) Give the functions of interferons.
(f) What is the difference between E-mail and Fax?